Where Is It?Perched on Tregonhawke Cliff, high above the beach and sea below, Brackenbank is a chic chalet made for romantic escapes and family holidays. With dramatic views of the expansive ocean and a unique position tucked into the cliffside, this retreat is not simply a holiday home but an experience to be had. It was recently featured in The Guardian's 30 UK Holiday Cottages to book for 2021.
Whitsand Bay is a wide, dramatic arc of coast, with a long sandy beach dotted with craggy rocks and backed by high cliffs. Located on the Rame Peninsula, this beautiful stretch of Cornish coast is bound by the Lynher and Tamar rivers, the Hamoaze and the sea. Known as Cornwall's 'Forgotten Corner', the area is designated as one of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
The dramatic cliffside position will give the illusion that there is nothing around you but ocean, yet there is plenty to see and do nearby. Explore the winding clifftop paths, stroll to a nearby cafe for lunch and relax with ever changing sea views. Close by are the pretty coastal villages of Kingsand and Cawsand, from which a ferry will take you across to the bustling city of Plymouth with its scenic port and array of eateries.
Read what Simon from Beach Retreats got up to during his stay at Brackenbank.Inside:
- A unique, beach chic chalet with stunning views and light, airy interiors.
- Open plan living space with kitchen, dining area and spectacular panoramic views over Whitsand Bay.
- Sitting area with 3 seater sofa, armchair and pouffe, wood burner, 32" flat screen TV with Freeview and Chromecast, digital radio with Bluetooth, selection of books and games.
- Fully equipped kitchen with electric oven and hob, fridge with compartment freezer, dishwasher, Delonghi Icona Micalite coffee machine, circular porthole style window and stable door leading to secluded decking area.
- Dining area with table and four chairs; sliding patio doors leading onto a private garden with superb views.
- Cot and high chair available.
- Electric heating throughout.
- Plush and stylish master bedroom with king size bed, chest of drawers, local artwork and magnificent sea views over Whitsand Bay.
- Cosy second bedroom with chalet style bunk, double on the bottom and single on top, deep walk-in wardrobe, and 17" flat screen TV with Freeview.
- En-suite wet room from the second bedroom with shower, WC and hand basin.
- Family bathroom with walk-in shower, WC and hand basin.
- Private garden with lawn and decking area, with plently of space to relax with a book and a coffee or tuck into dinner overlooking the stupendous views.
- Garden features two sun loungers with a side table, a coffee table and two chairs, a bench looking out to the ocean and alfresco dining bench seating underneath a shade sail, all facing the panoramic cliff and sea views.
- Coal BBQ.
- Outdoor shower.
- Utility shed with a washing machine.
- One allocated parking space available April-September and additional roadside parking at the top of the cliff, on a first come, first served basis.
Need To Know:
- Two well-behaved dogs welcome (additional charge applies).
- Short breaks available outside of school holidays.
- No smoking within the property or anywhere on the premises.
- Refundable damage deposit of £150, due with full balance.
- Roadside parking is available with an additional parking space available April - September in the field located 5 minutes walk away. Please note - the path from the parking spaces down the cliff to Brackenbank is narrow and uneven and may be difficult for those with reduced mobility.
What Can I Walk To:
- The sandy beach of Tregonhawke, which has a seasonal cafe, and is part of Whitsand Bay's 5 mile stretch of coast. Please note the footpath down the cliff to the beach is steep and not suitable for wheelchairs and people with limited mobility.
- Go swimming, kayaking, wind and kite surfing or fishing at the lifeguarded beach (May-September).
- Cliff Top Cafe (10-minute walk).
- The View restaurant as listed in the Michelin Guide (15 minute walk).
- The Vaults restaurant at Whitsand Bay Holiday Park (5 minute walk).
- Take a short drive to the coastal villages of Kingsand, Cawsand and St John, with cafes, shops and surf hire.
- A little further to the east is Plymouth, with everything a big city offers, or a few miles west you'll find the seaside towns of Looe and Polperro, with seafood restaurants, pubs and even a monkey sanctuary!